MARLBOROUGH ROAD CLOSURE – UPDATE AS OF SUNDAY 9TH JANUARY

MARLBOROUGH ROAD CLOSURE – UPDATE AS OF SUNDAY 9TH JANUARY

Cllr David Martyn Update:
MARLBOROUGH ROAD CLOSURE – UPDATE AS OF SUNDAY 9TH JANUARY
On Friday evening, Councillors David Martyn, Cathy Martyn, Brian Ford (Wroughton & Wichelstowe), Councillor Jenny Jefferies (Chiseldon & Lawn) and Robert Buckland QC MP met with representatives from the Data Centre, and the Leader & Deputy Leader of Swindon Borough Council (SBC).
We were advised that multiple companies will be carrying out works whilst the road is closed, so SBC ensured they all did this during the same closure. However, this seems to be the reason that neither the Data Centre nor SBC will agree to postpone the closure. Representatives for the Data Centre apologised for the disruption the closure will cause.
Following our requests during the past couple of weeks, here are the measures which were offered to try to minimise the impact:
1. There will be a scheduled minibus at peak times at start & end of the day to ensure that residents in Thorney Park, Langton Park & Alexandra Park are not impacted by changes to the bus service at morning & evening peak times – we are still awaiting details of this.
2. Residents in Thorney Park and Alexandra Park who have difficulty in accessing public transport will be able to use the Steps for You service provided by Akcess by calling 01793 677191. We have asked that this service be made available to other residents to the south of the closure outside of these areas, and we are awaiting confirmation.
3. They are prepared to consider incremental costs to changes required to the school bus schedule.
4. They are prepared to consider improving the maintenance of the pavement down Brimble Hill (thankyou to the resident who suggested this). It may be that Conlon will provide this or they may provide the funding to SBC.
5. They will pay for additional signage around Priors Hill
We don’t think this goes far enough, so we also requested:
6. Improved signage – whilst SBC continues to advise that the signage is adequate, we maintain it absolutely is not. The Deputy Leader agreed to consider additional signs. Following the meeting we emailed details as to where we wish to see additional signs and to the best of our ability, what we think they should say.
7. Manned checkpoints on Priors Hill and Brimble Hill (at the Toll House) to ensure that we do not get a large volume of through traffic trying to get through the road closure or using Priors Hill as an unofficial diversion route as it’s too narrow. We have raised this several times already and we’ve sent details to the Deputy Leader for re-consideration. We are awaiting confirmation of how this will be implemented.
8. Improved communication from Swindon Borough Council – both we & some residents have been given contradictory information which is a complete nightmare. We have stressed that it is vitally important that the information provided is consistent & accurate.
9. Confirmation about waste & recycling collections: the Deputy Leader provided assurance that arrangements are in place to collect waste & recycling on our usual days.
10. Consideration of extra resource by way of more operatives at the works site, longer working hours, and any opportunity for multiple works to be happening at the same time to ensure the works are completed more quickly. We are awaiting feedback on this request.
Details of any further works:
11. Before Christmas we requested a meeting be set up to discuss the extent of the Moormead Road closure and how the impact on residents would be mitigated. This meeting is currently scheduled for 21st January. We couldn’t get clarification at the meeting as to whether this closure is for the Data Centre or someone else and we await further details on both this and any other additional works on our local roads.
We are working very hard to respond and keep up with the number of emails & questions from residents about the impact of this closure, so please bear with us if we haven’t got back to you yet. We promise that we are doing everything that we can to try to get clarification and accurate information, as well as continuing to fight for improvements. We will share any more information as we receive it.
I have also re-iterated my complaint to the Chief Executive of Swindon Borough Council about these works.
David
Councillor David Martyn: dmartyn@swindon.gov.uk
Councillor Cathy Martyn: cmartyn2@swindon.gov.uk
Councillor Brian Ford: bford@swindon.gov.uk
Councillor Jenny Jefferies: jjefferies@swindon.gov.uk (for Chiseldon residents)
Robert Buckland QC MP: robert.buckland.mp@parliament.uk